Skip to Content

1865Reconstruction

Reconstructing Education

A sterograph produced by C. W. Woodward, date unknown, of an outdoor scene titled: "1482. Howard University, Washington City, D.C." below the image. The stereograph is rectangular in shape with two identical albumen photographs that are square-shaped attached to a piece of cardboard. Both images feature a stately University building in the background with a large group of African American men and women in the foreground standing or lounging on the lawn. The left edge of the stereograph contains the following textual information inside a decorative banner: "C.W. Woodward, Rochester, N.Y." while the right side contains the following: "Washington City, D.C." inside a decorative banner.

Howard University in the Late 19th Century

A sepia tone carte-de-visite of a Freedmen’s School. Standing closing together in front of a large building composed of logs and wide planks, several children are photographed on a bright day, surrounded by mature skinny trees. This image captures just one of the many Freedman’s Schools established after the Civil War, tasked with educating, clothing, and housing former slaves. On the left of the photograph stands a woman wearing a large dark skirt and jacket. On the right of the photograph stands a man wearing hat, bright shirt, and dark trousers.
On the reverse of the carte-de-visite are graphite inscriptions and the photographer’s stamp: [J. D. HEYWOODS / PHOTOGRAPH ROOMS / CRAVEN ST / Sd B??? South P. O / NEW BERNE, N. C.].

Freedmen’s Bureau school in New Bern, North Carolina

Reconstructing Education

A sepia tone carte-de-visite of a Freedmen’s School. Standing closing together in front of a large building composed of logs and wide planks, several children are photographed on a bright day, surrounded by mature skinny trees. This image captures just one of the many Freedman’s Schools established after the Civil War, tasked with educating, clothing, and housing former slaves. On the left of the photograph stands a woman wearing a large dark skirt and jacket. On the right of the photograph stands a man wearing hat, bright shirt, and dark trousers.
On the reverse of the carte-de-visite are graphite inscriptions and the photographer’s stamp: [J. D. HEYWOODS / PHOTOGRAPH ROOMS / CRAVEN ST / Sd B??? South P. O / NEW BERNE, N. C.].

Freedmen’s Bureau school in New Bern, North Carolina

After the Civil War, newly freed African Americans sought to provide an education for themselves and their children. Many newly free communities used churches as places of both worship and education. The Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen and Abandoned Lands made education a major part of its work in the southern and border states, providing freed communities with funds, materials, and educators to build schools for Black children and adults. The Freedmen’s Bureau also created their own schools in freed communities. Black elected officials passed laws to establish public school systems and make education more widely available to all children.

African Americans also pursued higher education. Though some African Americans earned degrees from American universities as early as 1804, most colleges and universities would not admit Black students. Lincoln University, founded in 1854, and Wilberforce College, founded in 1856, were some of the earliest schools created specifically for educating Black students. Churches, abolitionist societies, and communities worked together to establish what are now known as Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) across the country after the Civil War. Fisk University, founded in 1866, and Howard University, chartered in 1867, were two of the earliest HBCUs. These educational spaces laid the groundwork for the generations that followed.